Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Blog #50 Grapes of Wrath Opinion

The very first book I read was The Grapes of Wrath. The book was very interesting and not what I was used to. The language was hard to follow at some points and some of the words that were used are not common in my vocabulary. I enjoyed the book because the family was really close and I liked reading about them. The journey to California was very rough on the family, but they were brought closer together when I thought they were going to drift apart. The characters were very memorable. They all helped display an important message. The message is probably the importance of family and sticking together. Since the family stuck together, that is when they were strongest. They did not give up, which helped them as they were travelling. They kept a very optimistic mood about things. They always looked to the positive side of all the situations. The book was not my favorite though because it is not my favorite type of book to read. I like to read more modern and suspenseful books. I think the message is very timeless, but the book itself was just okay. The journey itself was very long. I did get a little bored with the book, but thankfully there was enough suspense to keep me engaged to finish it. My favorite character is Ma Joad because she really brought the family together and made them never give up no matter how hard things got. My least favorite character is the uncle because he was the negative one in the family. He never forgave himself for the death of his wife. Instead of properly burying Rose of Sharon’s baby, he let the basket go on the river and just let her float. The plot flowed very well, but the book was kind of hard to follow. I did not really like some of the chapters that were like two pages long and did not explain much. Those chapters distracted me from the story and what was really happening. Overall, it was not my favorite book out of the three that I read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment