Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Blog #52 The Catcher in the Rye Opinion


The last book I read was The Catcher in the Rye. The book was good, but not great. The tone of the book was very sad and depressing so I was not really happy when I was reading it. I thought the book was interesting though. I think it ended just a little too soon. The book just kind of stopped. I think more detail could have been used in the story. In a book that has a lot of negativity, I think there should have been more positive moments. I liked that the book was told in a first person narrator because the other two books were told in third person, but the only downside with a first person narrator is the reader misses details about other people. I only know the other people in the book by the way Holden describes them. The book was not completely modern, but it was a little more relatable than the other two were. The main message was fitting in and finding yourself. It was really about connecting with people and figuring out who needs to be in your life and who doesn’t. I could relate with Holden at some points in the story. The book was pretty easy to follow, but I did not like the sequence of events. The events did not really go together. I was basically reading one man’s journal about the weekend he got kicked out of his school. The characters were not really what I expected them to be. My favorite character was probably Phoebe because she was just a little girl but she had the power to change her big brother for the better. Without even knowing she helped him find happiness. My least favorite character is the crooks. The lady who stole Holden’s money and the elevator attendant who beat Holden up are my least favorite. They had no respect for Holden and did not really care about anyone else’s feelings. There were only two people who really affected Holden. The two people were Phoebe and Mr. Antolini. Not many details were included about his family or anything. I think the book was alright overall it was not my favorite, but it was my second favorite. I like the modernization that the book had so I could easily understand what was happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment