Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Blog #51 The Old Man and the Sea Opinion


The second book I read was The Old Man and the Sea. I really liked this book a lot. The book was short and easy to read. It was packed full of detail, and I easily followed the storyline. I think that the book is really good. Overall it had a very positive message. The message was about pride, accomplishment, and the power of struggle. I could easily relate to some of the instances in the book. I am like Santiago because I do not let comments get to me, just like Santiago didn’t either. Santiago accomplished many things in the book. He worked hard to prove other people wrong and prove that he was still worthy. He did not give up no matter what. The message was inspiring. I think the reason I was able to read the book so easily because of the constant suspense. As soon as Santiago was stuck at sea is when the suspense started because I was constantly wondering if he would make it home and if he was going to be able to catch the fish. I like the book because the main character and my favorite character, Santiago was not afraid of anything. He had enough knowledge and skill to make it through any situation. He never gave up. He persevered. Santiago was inspiring to me because he was such an old guy, but he worked so hard and for so long. In that time he really showed his true strength and proved its never to late to follow your dream. Mainly from the book I took away the message of never giving up. Times will always be rough, but in the end happiness will come. My least favorite characters were the sharks because they represented struggle. I did not want to see the old man get hurt by the sharks and crush his pride. I think the fact that the old man was alone proves a lot about his character. Even though he wished the by was there, he found an inner strength which helped him survive while he was at sea. Overall this book was probably my favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment