Monday, August 8, 2011

Discussion Question 6- The Catcher in the Rye


I think we still read this book for many reasons. I think that a lot of teenagers should read this book. Even though it is not based in the present day, the message is very timeless and a lot of people will be able to relate to the message. When I read this book, I saw a different side to things. As I read, I really took into account what Holden was saying. The things that interested him were fascinating. The little things that mad him depressed really got to me too. I think I like the book because it was not completely happy. Most books have a happy ending, and gradually get happier as the book goes along. The book did get happier in the very end, but until the very end the book was kind of sad. I think that the message is so important. Lots of people struggle with finding who they are and where they fit in. Every person can admit to doing that at least one time in their life. I think that the book shows the downside of things in a way.  The book is told through Holden’s point of view. Holden is not the happiest character, which sort of sets the mood for the entire book. Another message that I took away from the book is that you cannot please everyone. I could tell that Holden tried to please most people he came in contact with, but there are just some people that you cannot connect with. I think that people should not try to hard to please other people; they should just worry about themselves. Holden does a good job of worrying about himself, but he also wants to please the people around him, especially his sister. I think his sister helped him find his happiness and I think Holden connected with her for once in his life. He wants to make his parents proud too. That is why when he got kicked out of Pencey he did not go home right away, He did not want to face his parents and he did not want to face disappointment. I think the characters are so timeless because they display the message. Also the characters in the story were usually all so giving and understanding. It is hard to find those kinds of people today.

 Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye. Little, Brown and Company. 1951.

No comments:

Post a Comment